- Reduce mortality and the risk of recurrent breast cancer by approximately 50%.
- Lower the risk of colon cancer by over 60%.
- Reduce the risk of the development of Alzheimer’s disease by approximately 40%.
- Reduce the incidence of heart disease and high blood pressure by approximately 40%.
- Lower the risk of stroke by 27%.
- Lower the risk of developing type II diabetes by 58%
- Be twice as effective in treating type II diabetes than the standard insulin prescription and can save $2250 per person per year when compared to the cost of standard drug treatment.
- Can decrease depression as effectively as Prozac or behavioural therapy.
Did you also know it is being offered for free? And it can be taken any time of day, with no side effects?
Have you guessed what it is yet?
Yes, it's exercise! It really is that good. Exercise can also be known by other names, such as...
- Playing with your children or grandchildren in the yard or at the park
- Riding your bike to the shop, instead of driving
- Walking to school/ work
- Organised excercise i.e. gym, walking groups, tai chi.
- Pretty much anything, as long as you're moving your body around the place!
If you are suffering from any chronic diseases, chances are you'll benefit greatly from a daily dose of exercise. Did you know there are health specialists trained to dispense you the perfect dose? Exercise Physiologists (EPs for short) can show you how to best approach this for your needs, so you get the best results possible, without any problems along the way. For more information on EPs, visit www.essa.org.au .
At Pioneer Podiatry, we always encourage Exercise as Medicine. If you are having foot or leg problems which are preventing you from taking your daily dose of exercise, please come in to see us! We can give customised footwear prescriptions, and make custom orthotics to ensure your feet and legs are working properly for the activities you love to do.